This recipe has been adapted from a friends recipe that she may have gotten out of a magazine so I cannot take 100% credit but I did make I dairy free and add some super foods. I love these muffins and take them backpacking, car trips, long runs, and even send them with my husband for guys weekend. They give you energy that will last all morning!
2-½ cups old fashion rolled oats (I used Bobs Red Mill gluten free)
1 can coconut milk
¼ cup ground flax seeds
¼ cup chia seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
2-tablespoon coconut oil (melted but not hot)
1 large farm fresh organic free-range egg (what other kind are there?)
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cardamom
¼ tsp. salt
Assorted frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, this is your choice
1. The night before you makes these mix the coconut milk and oats in a bowl and refrigerate overnight until all liquid is absorbed around 8 to 12 hours
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil.
3. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in a separate bowl, this helps ensure you don’t get a big glob of chia seeds in one muffin. Slowly fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. After theses are thoroughly combined you can add in the soaked oats.
4. Divide mixture among the 12 muffin tins, it will be around ¼ cup in each. Now the fun part, add some berries to the tops of each muffin. I like to make about half raspberry, half blueberry then a surprise lucky muffin that has both! Getting crazy!
5. Bake muffins for 25 to 30 minutes until they spring back when touched. Let cool in pan for at least 10 minutes. Don’t get too excited here and take them out, they will not hold together as well if you do. Cool it and let them cool.